The 3rd edition of the Race of 6 Friends™, brought to you by Auckland Central Cycling Club, will be held on Sunday 4th March 2012, starting and finishing at the Riverhead Tavern.
The event involves teams of six riders, who must start and finish together. The route for the 3rd edition is approximately 125 kms, 10% of which will be on gravel roads. The course will also involve 2,000 metres of climbing. Maps and route cards showing the final details will be handed out on the day of the event.
Teams will be asked to estimate their finishing times, with those estimated tobe slowest being the first to start and the fastest departing last.
There is no upper age limit for riders but the organisers have decided, for this and all future
editions of the Race of 6 Friends™, to set a minimum age of 18 years (taken on the day of the event).
Each team mustpick up a playing card from one or more checkpoints and take a photo of 5 of
the 6 team members at the same or other checkpoints. The playing card and photos (using a mobile phone or digital camera) must be presented to the organisers in order to secure
a finishing time. The checkpoints will be announced on the day of the event.
Once all entries have been received, starting times will be announced, with the first team set
to start at approximately 7.30 a.m. When entering, each team will be asked to estimate their finishing time. This will be used to assist in setting each team’s start time, the aim being to have all teams finish in time for the prize-giving.
We will be using a handicapping system similar to that used for the first two editions. As a guide on how to build a winning team:
· To qualify for a finishing time all 6 riders must finish together. Each team’s finishing time will be taken from the last rider to cross the finishing line;
· The team’s finishing time will be reduced for riders over 45 (proof of age may be required);
· The finishing time will also be reduced for every woman in the team (and if she is over 45 more time will be deducted as above);
· Allowances will be made for Clydesdale and Athena riders (more than 91kgs for men and 69 kgs for women). Riders may be asked to weigh in at the start line;
· Teams riding on pre-1990 bikes will have their finishing time reduced further. For a bike to qualify, it needs to have down tube or bar end shifters, no more than an 8 speed rear cassette, and a quill stem;
· Other options (single-speed bikes, fixies, aerobars etc) may be given allowances or penalties
depending on the mood of the organisers.
The event will not be marshalled or supported but teams will be seeded and sent off at intervals,
so that larger groups do not form. Riders must obey all road rules on the road at all times. No support vehicles will be permitted on the course. The organisers will have spotters on the course and if they see a vehicle following or supporting a team, a significant time penalty will be applied to that team.
There will be no feed stations, so riders will need to carry all of their own food and drink (or
enough money to buy it at one of three shops en route).
The entry fee is $30 per rider. For every rider who is a member of Auckland Central Cycling Club the fee is $20. When entering please quote your ACCC membership or WheelTime Tag number.
The prize giving willbe held as soon as possible following the arrival of the last team. Included in the prizes are:
· Dinner for 6 Friends at Ciboto the value of $900
· set of Pure Black Racing kit
· pair of Fizik R3 cycling shoes from WH Worrall & Co
· heaps of accessories from Hot Cycles and Rode Pt Chevalier
· vouchers from Specialized for redemption at Mt Eden Cycles Cycle City and Echelon Cyclery
· three Solo Classique jerseys worth $180 each
· cool tools from Trade Tools
· special teas and infusions from Tea Total
· vouchers for Real Balance Massage.
A portion of the proceeds from this edition the Race of 6 Friends™ will be donated by Auckland Central Cycling Club to the Pure Black Supporters’ Trust, which has recently been set up to raise funds so that the Pure Black Racing team can continue racing in New Zealand and overseas.
The closing date for entries (and payment) is 24th February 2012. Teams should therefore enter as soon as possible even if with a provisional line-up of 6 riders. Substitute riders will be
accepted until 24 hours before the start.
You can enter and pay in one of the following ways:
1. Pay by credit card and enter online at http://www.aucklandcentralcycling.org.nz/
2. Complete the attached entry form, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and pay by internet banking to credit the Club‘s Westpac Bank Account, no. 03-0195-0663524-001
3. Complete the attached entry form and post it, together with a cheque made out to Auckland Central Cycling Club, to P O Box 91 470, Victoria St West, Auckland 1142.